How to be saved
The answer to the question how to be saved has the potential to change your life and your eternity forever. It is all up to you because at the end of the day you are the one that makes the choice.
In this post, you will find answers to many questions you may have. I don’t know the answer to all the questions but with the help of The Holy Spirit I will do my best to teach you how to be saved according to the Bible and answer some of your questions.
How it all started
To help you understand better, let us start at the beginning.
In Genesis 1, we can see that God is the creator of all things. He created the universe, the earth and everything in it, including you and me.
God created man so He could have a fatherly relationship with him. He breathed life into people and created them to live forever with Him.
God would come each day to spend time with the people He created, He loved them and they loved Him. They didn’t have any needs because God provided for everything. But there was a tree in the middle of the garden that God told them not to eat.
And the LORD God commanded the man, “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will die”Genesis 2:16-17
I’m sure you know the story, the devil tempted them and they ate from the tree and from that moment on their lives were never the same. Through their disobedience sin entered the world and it passed down from generation to generation all the way to you and me. We all carry that sinful nature.
Consequences of the fall
The disobedience of man had eternal and devastating consequences for all of us. Man was separated from God forever. Sin created a gap between them.
Death entered the world because the consequence of sin is death (Romans 6:23). This death was not only physical but also eternal.
There are only 2 destinations: heaven and hell. Heaven is where God is and hell was created for the devil and his demons.
Hell was created as a punishment for sin, it was never created for man. But now that all man have sinned, and were separated from God, hell is their destination.
For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.Romans 3:23
For God so loved the world
God loves you so much that He couldn’t stand the thought of you going to hell and Him living an eternity without you. So He gave up the most precious thing He had, Jesus His only son to come and pay the price of sin for you.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.John 3:16
So, Jesus came. He gave up His throne in heaven to come live as a man. The King of Heaven came to die for you. In His body, He carried the sin of the world and died so you didn’t have to. His love for you was greater than your sin.
Only the blood of Jesus can wash away your sin.
What is salvation
Salvation is deliverance or redemption from sin. Salvation is Jesus dying for you on the cross to pay for your sin.
Salvation is a gift from God. God doesn’t force you to accept this gift, if you want the gift of salvation you must accept it through faith by believing in Jesus the son of God.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.Romans 5:8
How to be saved
If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.Romans 10:9
Just 2 steps to be saved:
- You have to believe in your heart that Jesus is the son of God, that He loves you so much that He gave His life for you and died on the cross for you and that God raised Him back to life.
- After you believe it in your heart, you must confess it with your mouth and then you will be saved. When you confess it with your mouth you are accepting the gift of salvation that God gave you. This is how salvation is achieved.
What does it mean to be born again?
You might have heard the expression “born again” and wondered what it meant. I like this explanation given at billygraham.org:
Jesus said, “I tell you the truth, unless a man is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God” (John 3:3). Our first birth gave us physical life; the new birth gives us spiritual life and membership in God’s family (John 1:13). To be born again is to have the Holy Spirit transform our hearts from indifference and hostility toward God to a love of God and a desire for righteousness and holiness.billygraham.org
When you are born again, you are spiritually born as a child of God (not everybody is a child of God like the world thinks). Your old self (the sinful one) dies and a new (redeemed) one is born.
Who can be saved?
Everyone who calls on the name of the LORD will be saved.Romans 10:13
The gift of salvation is for anyone that opens their heart to Jesus.
What does it mean to be saved by grace?
Another expression you might have heard is “saved by grace” This simply means that you are saved because God wanted to save you. There is nothing you can do to earn salvation, that’s why salvation is a gift from God.
For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God.Ephesians 2:8
Without His saving grace, you are just a sinner on your way to hell. That’s why you need to be saved.
Do you have to be water baptized to be saved?
Remember our salvation steps?
- Believe in your heart that Jesus is Lord, the son of God and that He raised Him from the dead.
- Confess it with your mouth.
That’s those are the only requirements for salvation.
Baptism is 3 things:
- A public declaration of our faith.
- A Symbolism of your new life in Christ. When you go down in the water, you are declaring death to your old nature, death to your sinful life. When you come up from the water, you are declaring the new birth, the new person who you are in Christ.
- A commandment. Baptism is not a requirement for salvation but it is something that we must do. How do I know? Because Jesus did it, so if He did it, then we should do it too. (Mark 16:16, Act 2:38, Matthew 28:19).
Can you be saved by being a good person?
Without a doubt you have lied before; you have had a bad thought before or not loved your neighbor as you love yourself. These are all bad things. Good and bad are opposites. You can’t be good and bad at the same time.
The bible tells us that only God is good. There is not a good person on this earth, we are all sinners in need of a savior.
Our salvation is not based on good works or good behavior, our salvation is based on God’s love and grace.
How can you be sure you are saved?
The day that you opened your heart to Jesus, the day that you confess Him as your Lord, that day you were saved.
How do you know?
Because God said so. Here it is when faith comes in. Faith that God is real and that His word is real. If God said it, just believe it and don’t doubt it.
You may not feel saved. The devil may come and make you doubt your salvation.
How come someone like you be saved? After all that you have done, you don’t deserve to be saved.
Don’t listen to the lies of the devil.
Remember, Jesus saves you because He loves you, not because you deserve it. Believe Him and not the lies of the devil or the people around you.
Prayer of salvation
The prayer of salvation is also known as The Sinner’s Prayer.
The most important thing about this prayer is your heart. You must believe in your heart and mean it. This is a precious moment between you and God and will change your eternity forever.
Anytime you are ready to receive the gift of God and open your heart to Jesus just say this prayer:
Dear God, I know that I am a sinner and I ask you to please forgive my sins. I believe in my heart that Jesus is your Son; that He died for me on a cross and you raised Him back to life. Jesus, I declare that you are my Lord and I open my heart to you. Help me follow you all the days of my life. Help me to be more like you and to do your will.
In Jesus’ Name, I pray.
Once you have said this prayer, your life has gone from death to life! Welcome to the family!!! you are now a child of God and my sister or my brother!!!
What to do next now that you are saved
Now that you are born again you are like a baby, a spiritual baby. You need good food to grow and be strong just like regular babies. Here are a few steps that will help you grow strong and become a mature Christian.
- Develop a personal relationship with God by talking to God every day. He is your Daddy; He loves to hear your voice, talk to Him about everything and also stay quiet so you can learn how to hear His voice too.
- Read the Bible. You can start on Genesis (Old Testament) or Matthew (New Testament) that is up to you. If you have a hard time understanding the Bible don’t give up, keep reading. The more you read, the more revelation the Holy Spirit will bring. The Holy Spirit is your helper and he will help you if you ask Him to.
- Find a church that preaches The Word of God. You can find a helpful post here that shows you how to pick the right church.
- Get baptized!
- Listen to sermons from people that will teach you The Word of God. Try to listen to 1 per day. This will help you learn about the Bible, it will strengthen your faith and will make you stronger as a Christian. These are the ones I recommend for you:
- Pastor and Teacher Andy Andrews from Harvest Christian Center. You can find his teachings by clicking here.
- Pastor and Teacher Andrew Wommack. You can find His teachings here.
- Evangelist Reinhart Bonnke: you can find his sermons on YouTube.
- Dr. Tony Evans from The Urban Alternative.
- Stay away from sin and from people that are not a blessing to your life.
Helpful Sermons about salvation
When you finish reading this blog, I want to encourage you to watch the following videos:
Giving my life to Jesus has been the best thing I’ve ever done. I wrote this post because I wanted to share with you the beautiful gift of salvation. Don’t wait another day because you never know when will be your last day. Today is the day of salvation!
If you accepted Jesus as your savior through this post would you mind letting me know by commenting on this post or by sending me an email at Carolina@ourkingdomculture.com
Don’t forget to share, there are many people out there needing to be saved.