How to guard your heart and your mind
Believe it or not, this is one of the most important keys found in the Bible that will help you live a victorious christian life.
God’s will for your life is for you to prosper and be in health even as your soul prospers. The only way to do this is to guard your heart and your mind.
In this post I will show you:
- Why it is important to guard your heart and your mind.
- 5 Ways that will help you guard your heart and mind.
- Bible scriptures to meditate on.
Why is it important to guard your heart and mind?
We work hard to protect the things that we consider valuable. We make sure our cars are locked. We turn the alarm on and lock the doors in our house.
But according to God, our heart is the most important possession we have. So we need to pay more attention to guarding our hearts than anything else.
Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life.Proverbs 4:23
I love this translation of Proverbs 4:23 (NLT), your heart determines the course of your life, it determines who you are, what you are all about, and how you handle life.
Your mind and your heart are connected, and it is your god-given responsibility to guard your heart.
For as a man thinks in his heart, so is heProverbs 23:7
If you want to understand more about the heart of man that the Bible talks about, check out this sermon by Andrew Wommack called “The Heart of Man“
5 Ways that will help you guard your heart and your mind
1. Pay attention to what you are listening to
What are you listening to?
Are you listening to music and podcasts or sermons that edify you, build you up and strengthen your spirit? Or are you listening to things that are contrary to the word of God.
Or maybe they are not contrary to the word of God but it won’t bless you in any way?
We have to pay attention to what we are listening to because that’s what we are feeding our spirits.
2. Guard your heart and mind from the things you watch
What kind of shows or movies are you watching on TV?
If you were to sit down and watch tv with Jesus, would you watch the same shows?
What you constantly watch will affect what you think, feel, say and do. If you constantly gaze at the wrong things, you will likely flood your mind with wrong thoughts.
The lamp of the body is the eye. If therefore your eye is good, your whole body will be full of light. But if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness.Matthew 6:22-23
3. Read and meditate on the Word of God
When you read, study and meditate on the word of God, you are guarding your heart and your mind from anything that comes against them.
The word of God is a seed when you sow it in your heart, it grows and it does the work that God sends it to do.
This could be healing, freedom or keeping your focus on what really matters.
The word of God will give you the wisdom to spot the things that try to contaminate your heart and mind.
4. Pay attention to the words that are coming out of your mouth
Put away from you a deceitful mouth, And put perverse lips far from you.Proverbs 4:24
If you want to know what is inside your heart, pay attention to the way you speak.
The Bible tells us that out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks.
So we need to pay attention to the words that we are speaking.
Jesus said that what comes out of a man defiles him because out of the heart comes evil thoughts, sexual immorality, thefts, murders, adulteries, etc…all evil things proceed from within. (Mark 7:21)
Our words have power. Watch what you say!
5. Watch what you do
Do not turn to the right or the left; Remove your foot from evil.Proverbs 4:27
Stay focused on walking straight before The Lord. Stay away from the things that don’t align with the word of God, things that are not a blessing to you or others.
Be kingdom-focused, keeping your eyes set on Jesus until the end of your race. For great will be your reward!
Guard your heart and mind bible verses
- Proverbs 4:23 Keep your heart with all diligence, For out of it spring the issues of life.
- Proverbs 4:20 My son, give attention to my words; Incline your ear to my sayings. Do not let them depart from your eyes; Keep them in the midst of your heart; For they are life to those who find them, And health to all their flesh.
- Proverbs 23:19 Hear, my son, and be wise; And guide your heart in the way.
- Matthew: 12:34 Brood of vipers! How can you, being evil, speak good things? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.
- Proverbs 16:23 The heart of the wise man instructs his mouth and adds persuasiveness to his lips.
- Matthew 15:18 But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a person.
- Matthew 5:8 Blessed are the pure in heart, For they shall see God.
- Romans 8:6 The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace.
- Mark 12:30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.
- Isaiah 26:3 You will keep him in perfect peace, Whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You.
Remember that according to God, your heart is the most valuable thing you have, treat it as so by guarding your heart and your mind.
Your heart and mind will help you overcome whatever trial comes your way. Watch the following video, it will bless you greatly.
Don’t forget to share this post with a friend. Every time you do, you help spread the gospel across the earth.