17 Bible Verses for your weight loss journey
Can the Bible really help you lose weight?
Can your faith in God help you lose weight?
The answer to both questions is yes!
In the Bible you can find the answers to all of your questions, you can find the courage, the motivation, and the instruction to lose those extra pounds.
God will give you the strength and the willingness to stay focused on your journey when you put Him first. Things are not as easy when we try to do them on our own, but with God all things are possible.
Here are 23 Bible verses for your weight loss journey.
Pray these verses over you, meditate on them and confess them out loud. Write them down on index cards and place them all throughout your house. Keeping the Word of God before your eyes bring life and health to all of your flesh (Proverbs 4:22). Plus, it will help you stay focused and motivated.
Remember one important thing, losing weight and feeling great on the outside is wonderful but the beauty on the inside is the one that really matters because that one will last for eternity. So, as you work on the outside, make sure you are always focusing on the inside too by developing a strong relationship with God.
This post contains affiliate links, for more info check out my disclosure page.
Bible verses for your weight loss journey.
1. Romans 8:26 In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.
The Holy Spirit is always there to help you and guide you. He is there to help you when you are weak. Start your day in prayer, asking for direction and strength. Pray in the spirit, because He knows how to intercede for you.
2. Proverbs 25:27 It is not good to eat much honey, Nor is it glory to search out one’s own glory.
Honey is healthy and yummy but the Bible recommends that you do not eat too much of it. So, keep this Bible verse in mind when you are about to eat, it is not good to eat too much.
3. Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
How many times have you started a diet only to fail later or to see all the weight come back up? 🙋
I don’t want you to feel discouraged because you have failed before. Meditate on this Bible verse, know that Christ gives you the strength that you need to succeed. You can do this, say it out loud every day: “I can do this because Christ gives me strength”
4. 1 Peter 3:3-4 Your beauty should not come from outward adornments, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.
In your weight loss journey, remember that your beauty does not depend on the way you look on the outside. Your beauty is determined by the way you are on the inside. The inside beauty it’s what really matters.
I have a friend that is overweight, and she is the most beautiful person you can ever meet. Her inside beauty has opened many doors for her, people love to be around with her. You can really see the light of Jesus in her life.
There is nothing wrong with losing weight or wearing makeup or fixing your hair as long as you work on being more like Jesus every day.
Remember, your inside beauty will always outshine the way you look on the outside.
5. Romans 12:1 Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.
God formed your body, we present our bodies as a living sacrifice by taking care of it.
We take care of our bodies by not putting in them things that will not be a blessing to it. By staying away from things that will damage this wonderful body that God created for you.
Things like: drugs, alcohol, cigarettes and e-cigarettes, cutting, too much of the wrong food are only a few of the things that damage your body. Stay away from these things as a holy sacrifice to The Lord.
6. Matthew 4:4 Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'”
During your weight loss journey focus on feeding your spirit with The Word of God. This is one of the ways to work on your inside beauty and also will give you the strength to succeed in your journey.
7. 1 Corinthians 10:31 So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
This verse goes hand in hand with presenting your body as a living sacrifice. Whatever you eat or drink do it for the glory of God. If it brings blessing, and nourishment to our body, then do it for the glory of God. But if we eat or drink something that is not a blessing to our body and causes guilt and condemnation, then it is not for the glory of God.
We must view even something as simple as eating and drinking from a spiritual point of view. This makes us, the children of God different from other people.
8. Isaiah 26:3 You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you.
Losing weight can be stressful and overwhelming.
Keep your mind focused on God, study the Word, pray and confess the Word over your life. Eat healthy food, exercise, eat smaller portions, do all the are things that you need to be doing.
Once you do your part, He will do His part. He will bring peace. Have faith and trust God and trust the process. You will get to your goal with God’s help.
9. Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
The Spirit of God lives within you, and as you can see, self-control is one of the fruits of The Spirit. That means you have self-control within you, you just have to bring it out.
Having self-control is a must to lose weight. Pray and ask The Holy Spirit to help you develop the self-control that you already have inside of you.
10. Psalm 32:8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you.
Pay attention to that still small voice of The Holy Spirit, He will help you, direct you, and guide you. He will tell you what you need to stay away from and when it’s time to stop but you have to be sensitive to His leading and follow His instruction.
11. 1 Corinthians 10:13 No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.
You will have temptations but God gives you the strength to overcome them. You can do it, you are stronger than any temptation that may come your way. Stay focused on God and on your goal.
12. Galatians 1:10 For am I now seeking the favor of men, or of God? Or am I striving to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a bond-servant of Christ.
There should only be 3 reasons why you want to lose weight:
- Because you want to take care of your body and present it as a living sacrifice to The Lord.
- Because you want to be healthy.
- Because you want to feel good about yourself.
Notice that you should only do this because of God and because of you. Other people don’t matter here. Because when you do it for other people, you might be successful at first, but then the feeling will pass and you will be back to your old ways.
This is your life, your body, and you need to want this FOR YOU. Love yourself as God loves you. Make this weight loss journey because you want to feel proud of yourself. Don’t focus on seeking the favor of men, do it because you love God and you love yourself.
13. Habakkuk 3:19 The Sovereign LORD is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to tread on the heights.
God’s Spirit lives inside on you. The strength to finish this journey until you reach your goal weight is already in you. You got this girl!
14. James 4:17 If anyone knows the good they ought to do and doesn’t do it, it is sin for them.
Do the good to your body that you know you must do (eat healthy and exercise). Good choices bring good consequences.
15. Proverbs 16:3 Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and he will establish your plans.
Put your goals, your dreams, and your plans in God’s hands first. Pray over them every day and He will direct you and make you successful.
It’s doesn’t mean that you don’t have to put in the work and do the effort, you still do, but when you make God part of your plans, He will teach you, guide you, and strengthen you along the way.
16. 1 Corinthians 9:24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way as to take the prize.
Did you know that according to New York Post only 8% of the people achieve their New Year’s resolution goals?
Most of the people quit within the first 2 weeks of January. Shocking right?
But that is not you. You have the mind of Christ and you can achieve everything that you plan to do! So work hard on your goals, do the work, use these bible verses for your weight loss journey. If you don’t give up, you will get your price!!!
17. 2 Corinthians 10:3-5 For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. Casting down imaginations and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.
You are a child of God, and even though you are in this world, be kingdom-minded. We do not fight our battles as the world does; We fight our battles by using the armor of God and by casting down thoughts that do not align with The Word of God.
Follow the advice that you just read. When thoughts of failure or discouragement pop in your head, cast them down, stop them right away and go back to what the Bible says: You can do all things with Christ! Replace those thoughts with The Word and speak nothing but good things about you and your goals.
Speak life over your weight loss journey and speak life over yourself. Watch this short video from one of my favorite girls Terri Savelle Foy.
The Word of God is powerful, and it is an awesome tool to achieve your goals.
Use these Bible verses for your weight loss journey, meditate on them, read them and confess them out loud every day, place them all over your home, they will help you stay strong and focused until you achieve your goal.
I’m rooting for you, I know you can achieve everything that you set your mind to!
Check out the list of tools below that will help you in your weight loss journey and don’t forget to share this post with a friend!