15 Bible Verses about money that will set you up for success
She kept scrolling down the page, reading the descriptions, trying to find the best book on finances. Such a huge selection, it was so hard to pick the right one. She spent hours on the computer searching without realizing that the greatest book on finances was right there on her desk.
Just like her, millions of people overlook the Bible as a financial book. Yet, it was written/inspired by the greatest financial advisor and businessman that exists.
In it, you can find bible verses about money, advice on how to manage your finances and prosper, and how to be a good steward, etc. The answer to all your financial questions can be found in the bible.
There is nothing wrong with buying books and expanding your knowledge, you should do that. But don’t forget to go to The Word of God first and follow the advice that God gave you there.
The following 15 bible verses are a foundation for your financial success. Learn them, meditate on them and put them in to practice.
This post contains affiliate links, for more info check out my disclosure page.
Bible Verses about Money
1. The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is a slave to the lender.Proverbs 22:7
Have you ever felt the burden of debt? It makes you feel like you are a slave to the lenders right? Well, according to the Bible, you are, that’s why the Bible encourages you to live a debt-free life.
Don’t you love the feeling when you are done paying for a credit card, or when your car or home is paid off?
Try your best not to borrow any money, and if you have any debt, work hard to pay it off so you can finally be free. If you have any debt, this post will help you with that: The Christian way to get out of debt.
2. No one can serve two masters: Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.Matthew 6:24
Do you trust your job or your paycheck to take care of you and your family every month or do you trust God? When your trust is in the money that you make, it only means that your trust is not in God.
When we trust money it replaces God as our source and our provider, so money becomes our master.
When God is number one in your heart there is no room for anything or anybody else. He is your priority, He is your provider, He is your source. When God is the master of your life, you fully trust in Him, whether you get a check from work or not. You cannot put your trust in money and God at the same time.
3. Every man shall give as he is able, according to the blessing of the LORD your God which He has given you.Deuteronomy 16:17
Every born-again believer should be a giver. Why? Because God is a giver and we should strive to be like Him. God is such a great giver that He gave us the best He had, His son Jesus. He was heaven’s treasure yet; He gave Him up for us.
We are on this earth to be a blessing to others. God blesses us so we can bless others.
I love the example of the pond and the river.
The difference between the pond and the river is that the pond just sits there accumulating everything for itself but the river flows spreading everything it has everywhere it goes.
We are called to be like rivers and spread the blessing everywhere we go and not be like ponds and sit there accumulating everything for ourselves.
4. Owe no one anything except to love one another, for he who loves another has fulfilled the law.Romans 13:8
In the Bible, you will find several verses that speak against having debt. A debt-free life is the best life according to The Word of God.
If you are not debt-free let this Bible verse encourage you to work towards paying your debt off and staying debt-free. It’s never too late to start and the sooner you begin the better.
5. For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. And some people, craving money, have wandered from the true faith and pierced themselves with many sorrows. But you, Timothy, are a man of God; so run from all these evil things. Pursue righteousness and a godly life, along with faith, love, perseverance, and gentleness.1 Timothy 6:10-11
There are so many people that have lost their way because of their love of money. Many have lost their ministry, their integrity, their family because they made money their master.
We can’t deny that money is important and is needed. Money in itself is not evil, THE LOVE OF MONEY is evil. When you put money in the place that should only belong to God, money becomes your
When you rely on money, and you trust in it more than you trust God, then you have made money your idol.
Money is just a tool. God should be your everything. The Bible advises you to stay away from loving money. Love God first and pursue righteousness and a godly life.
6. A good man leaves an inheritance to his children’s children, and the wealth of the sinner is stored up for the righteous.Proverbs 12:22
I wish my grandparents would have learned this Bible principle. This would have changed a lot of things. Instead, they left us with poverty and lack. My grandparents were very poor, and they never did anything to change that. They worked hard but they never wanted more out of life. So my family grew up with the same poverty mentality and it has been hard to part from that.
What legacy are you leaving your children and your grandchildren? Think about them, about their future, and do for them what you wished somebody would have done for you.
Be happy with what you have but don’t let this keep you from wanting more and working hard to better yourself, your future and your family’s future. Your grandchildren will thank you for it.
7. Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD and whose trust is the LORD.Jeremiah 17:7
In times of prosperity and in times of lack, your trust should only be in The Lord. Everything is His, and you are His precious child, He will always take care of you. Let your confidence be in Him only. If you have a hard time trusting God with your finances this post will help you: How to trust God with your finances.
8. Will a mere mortal rob God? Yet you rob me. “But you ask, ‘How are we robbing you?’ “In tithes and offerings. You are cursed with a curse, for you have robbed Me, even this whole nation. Bring all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be food in My house, and try Me now in this,” says the LORD of hosts, “If I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you such a blessing that there will not be room enough to receive it.”Malachi3:8-10
This is a hard verse for many people. Some just don’t believe that this verse applies to us anymore since it’s from the Old Testament and some use this verse as an excuse not to give God what belongs to Him. If you have trouble with this verse pray and ask The Holy Spirit to guide you, He is your helper.
One day, when I’m before The Lord I do not want to hear Him say that I have robbed Him. So, I choose to be obedient and give my tithes and offerings. I don’t pay attention to what other people say about it, I do it because I feel led by The Holy Spirit to do it. Plus, the promise that is attached to the commandment is amazing. I will open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you such a blessing that there will not be room enough to receive it.”
Watch this little video I found from Dr. Tony Evans.
More Bible verses about money and finances
9. It is the blessing of the LORD that makes rich, and He adds no sorrow to it.Proverbs 10:22
10. But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.Matthew 6:33
It’s human nature to worry about what we are going to eat and what are we going to wear but us, the children of God, we have a new nature and we do not need to worry about those things. As long as we are seeking the kingdom of God (the things of God) He will provide for everything we need.
This is another great promise from God but it also comes with a requirement, He will provide as long as you seek Him First.
11. The wise store up choice food and olive oil, but fools gulp theirs down.Proverbs 21:20
It doesn’t matter how big or how small your paychecks are, saving should be something that you do every month.
I highly recommend this amazing book by Dave Ramsey called The Total Money Make-Over. This book will help you save and get out of debt. If you are struggling with your finances, this book is a must-read for you.
Also, I found this great article by Dave Ramsey that gives you 20 practical ways to save money. Don’t wait any longer, the sooner you start saving the better.
12. And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.Philippians 4:19
This verse is used a lot and most of the time it is used out of context. Paul here was talking to the people that supported his ministry. So this promise applies only to the people that support ministries.
If you want this promise for your life, you should find a way to support a ministry, especially missionaries. They are taking the gospel across the earth like Paul did and they need all the support that we can give them.
13. Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.Luke 6:38
14. And He said to them, “Take heed and beware of greed, for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of the things he possesses.”Luke 12:15
A person who is greedy will never be happy, he will always want more. Having more will not satisfy him, it is a vicious cycle that will keep a person in bondage. Stay away from greed.
15. Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”Hebrews 13:5
Each morning I write down 5 things that I am thankful for and I have found that the best way to be happy with what you have is to step back and count your blessings. There is always something to be grateful for, so focus on that, focus on what you have and be happy with it.
Now, being happy with what you have doesn’t mean that you can’t dream or work hard for more and better things. You should have dreams and goals and work towards them but don’t let your happiness depend on what you have or what you have accomplished.
This is God’s advice for you found in those bible verses about money. If you follow His advice you will be set yourself up for success.
- Do not borrow, live debt-free.
- Do not let money become your god.
- Do not love money, the love of money is the root of all evil.
- Trust God with your finances.
- Leave an inheritance for your grandchildren.
- Seek God first and He will take care of the rest.
- Give God what belongs to Him (tithes and offerings).
- Be generous, be a giver.
- Stay away from greed.
- Give to ministries.
- Be happy with what you have.
Don’t forget to share this post and check out our other posts in the Finances section of this blog!